Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On 11/25/2011 10:39 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 07:55:45 -0600, G. Morgan
wrote:

What about getting a permit in every state? No one has answered that
yet.

This is something that has to have a Federal component or I don't see
how else it would work. I'm not sending out 46 checks every 3 months,
they will have to implement a nationwide clearinghouse that disperses
the funds to the states. Sales tax is something you don't want to fall
behind on, or make mistakes. I could not imagine having to file
quarterly in every state that has sales tax. That would almost be a
full time job in itself.

Other retailers do it now. Again, it will be a burden if the states
go after the little guy, but the big stores won't be hurt by it. The
software is available at reasonable cost. I'm not sure how it works
in other states or even in PA today (it has been over 35 years since I
collected taxes) but for the 5% collected, I kept 1% for my fee and
remitted 4% to the state. On a few million $$$ in sales, that 1%
would cover some software costs.

In PA merchants keep 1% of the tax collected. Not 1% of the sale price.

As for writing checks, it is usually done by bank transfer today.

Who writes checks? At least in PA the only way a merchant can remit tax
is by ACH.