Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Looking for a more sensitive thermostat

On Nov 25, 9:17*am, Home Guy wrote:
CraigT used improper usenet message composition style not only by
top-poasting, but also by full-quoting:

My house is only 10 years old and as I stated already I have the
thermostat already set to its most sensitive setting.

For one thing, a 10 year-old house should be super-efficient in terms of
insulation, heat loss and being sealed for air leaks and outside air
infiltration. *This should make it LESS likely that you'd have comfort
problems caused by the cycling of your HVAC system.

Second, I'm not exactly sure what you mean when you say that your
thermostat is set to it most "sensitive" setting. *I'm not aware of a
thermostat that has a sensitivity setting, unless this is the SPAN
setting I was talking about in my previous post. *Please either confirm
that, or explain how this sensitivity setting works. *If your current
thermostat has a SPAN setting, tell us what those settings are, and
which of them you've tried.

My furnace or AC is not oversized, every contractor that has seen
my setup has said that I'm close to being undersized. *When my
units run one of my complaints is that they run for so long, they
do not easily overcome the sizing of my house.

Not knowing where on earth you are, you could either be using your A/C
or your furnace right now. *So it would help to know which of those
you'd like to fix for the moment.

As well, what type of furnace do you have? *Is it forced-air natural
gas? *Is it a heat pump? *Is it electric?

I didn't say it but it is on an interior wall.

That's fine, but it could still be in a poor location. *For example, is
it right over or near an air supply duct or vent? *Can the sun shine
directly on it? *Is it in a secluded corner where it can't get a good
sense of ambient air temperature?

Like I said I want the heating and cooling units to cycle more
often for shorter times, I do not want to listen to a fan
running 24/7.

If your house is only 10 years old, then almost certainly your HVAC fan
is multi-speed - or at least it's capable of multi-speed operation if
it's connected to an appropriate wall-mounted control switch.

And I have news for you. *If you think that you'd be more satisfied with
a furnace that goes on and off every few minutes vs having a constant
(and possibly quieter low-speed) fan running all the time, then you'd
probably be wrong.

What I want to know is if there is a thermostat out there that is
more sensitive than the rest or can be set to be so? *Like rather
than settings of 1, 2, or 3 for sensitivity settings it allows
for a more sensitive setting like .5?

I would think it would be ridiculous to have a span of 0.5 degrees F.

Also - note this:

If your thermostat has a Celcius/Farenheight setting, then it might be
that if it's set to Celcius, your SPAN option of 1 would be 1 degree
celcius, which is almost 2 degrees farenheight. *So set your thermostat
to Farenheight so that your "sensitivity" setting of 1 becomes 1 degree
farenheight.

If your furnace really is undersized, then it should basically be on all
the time (and not be able to bring the house up to the temperature you
want). *I doubt that's whats really happening, because your system
appears to be cycling.

That depends on how cold it is outside. The above
problem would only present itself when it's really
cold outside.

Unless you have a monster house, or your house was improperly built,
insulated or ducted, then it's hard to imagine what an undersized
furnace looks like for a 10 year-old house.

It used to be that HVAC guys chose to err on the side
of possibly making the system too large, since that is
less likely to result in bitching. But here in NJ I've seen
a trend to err on the other side now with systems that
are too small. One house I know of in particular is
Energy Star certified, about 7 years old. Not sure exactly
what role that plays in it

*Some ducting jobs can be
horrible - wrong size ducts, poor sealing between joints, garbage left
in the ductwork while the house was being built. *Maybe that's your
problem (assuming you have forced-air natural gas furnace that is).

Yes, I've seen all that too. House I was talking about above
has one register in a hallway that you can see is not connected
to a duct. And two registers that are virtually right above the
furnace put out almost no air. Which is hard to diagnose because
the idiot former owner had the basement drywalled. Never saw
anything like it. Get this. They drywalled around the furnace, hot
water heaters, etc. The guy must have been paid by the hour or
something with all the cuts, dips, etc. You or I would just put up a
utility room around the that area because it's useless anyhow.