Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On 11/24/2011 10:45 AM, G. Morgan wrote:
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

If you can make a simple spreadsheet, you can do the sales tax thing.

You've obviously not seen the "back-end" of shopping cart software.
There is no provision on any I seen/worked with of that lets you base
tax on the buyers exact location (only State). This is not a simple
implementation from a tech. viewpoint at all. Tax has to calculated in
real-time, not by some guy reading off a spreadsheet.

I think Eds point was that if you can quantify something you can do it
with a computer. There wasn't any "shopping cart software" until that
need came along.

Plus, how is a one-man operation going to keep up with filing tax
returns in 45+ States? I'm not selling IN their state, just shipping TO
the state.

The simplest method would be it is that it gets collected by one (or a
few) organizations and gets distributed. This is very much like how
credit cards work. There are only a few gateway processors. They send
the transaction to whatever backend you use.

I'm not going out of my way to collect taxes for other states, not my
responsibility.