Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Looking for a more sensitive thermostat

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 01:38:50 -0500, "CraigT"
wrote:

My furnace or AC is not oversized, every contractor that has seen my setup
has said that I'm close to being undersized. When my units run one of my
complaints is that they run for so long, they do not easily overcome the
sizing of my house. My house is only 10 years old and as I stated already I
have the thermostat already set to its most sensitive setting. I didn't say
it but it is on an interior wall. Like I said I want the heating and
cooling units to cycle more often for shorter times, I do not want to listen
to a fan running 24/7.

What I want to know is if there is a thermostat out there that is more
sensitive than the rest or can be set to be so? Like rather than settings
of 1,2,or 3 for sensitivity settings it allows for a more sensitive setting
like .5?

A new thermostat is not going to solve the problem. If the heater is
sized that it needs to run a long period to put enough heat into the
house, shutting it off sooner will only make it cooler and have it
work longer for the next cycle.

Why not tackle the real problem, the noise? That seems to be what is
really bothering you. Perhaps you can put in a variable speed blower
or otherwise change the speed of what you have. Or change a duct of
vent that is making the noise. Or box in and insulate the unit.

Regardless of the thermostat, the burner has to run a given amount of
time to produce the heat needed to warm your house. A more sensitive
thermostat may break it into smaller periods, but it still has to run
the same total time. If, in an hour it now runs 10 on, five off, you
may be able to get it to run five on, but it will still have to run
the same 40 minutes total.

You may want to consider putting in some supplementary heat in the
room you occupy so the furnace runs less keeping the rest of the house
warm. A small electric space heater will help and can be noiseless.