Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Bruce Esquibel[_2_] Bruce Esquibel[_2_] is offline

Default Garmin vs Tomtom

wrote:

I see advertisements for Garmin and TomTom GPS units, with lifetime
map updates and same size 5" screens for the same prices. Does anyone
have any experience with both units that can state a preference. Also,
I wonder how the companies behind the units are set financially, a
lifetime update is meaningless if the company goes out of business.

Which is something to reckon with.

Keep in mind the usefulness of stand-alone gps units is in a decline with
the advent of the cell phones and tables that have gps in them. That and
even economy cars have some built-in option these days, although expensive.

I doubt if either company is going to tank soon, but it's sort of like being
in the horseshoe business with Ford building the model T plant down the
road.

-bruce