Edwin Pawlowski

Default Pinewood Derby 101 - painting a car and getting a smooth finish - need help

(Dan
Valleskey) wrote:

snip
The dad's class turns out some pretty fancy stuff. The rules are.....
bent. Last year I got tromped by a guy that used wheels he turned off
a CNC lathe. Tall wheels. His frame was carbon fiber screwed to a
little bit of pine. He works for a race team here in Indy. His kid
had the winning car in the boys class. My wife asked his kid, how did
your car get such a nice paint job? He said, I don't know. Later I
heard the boy say he was not allowed to touch his car.

That is sad. He won the race but lost a lesson in life. The dad's ego is
more important than his son accomplishing anything. The rules should be
change so the kids build the cars under the supervision of the scout leader
and they not be take home where they can be "tampered" with.
Ed