Swingman

Default Pinewood Derby 101 - painting a car and getting a smooth finish - need help

"Scott Duncan" wrote in message ...

Swingman wrote:

Anything else is politics, not racing.

That's pretty much the way the races were run before digital timers and
computers. Since this equipment has advanced, many packs have switched to

time
based racing. Some even have an initial run to sort the cars so that

faster cars
are racing faster cars and slower cars are racing slower cars. This

benefits the
slow cars too, because the will win more heats since they are racing with

other
slow cars. Randomly mixing the faster cars with the slower cars makes for
lopsided finishes and some kids going home with our finishing well in a

single
heat. There were some pretty long faces at the end of the day at our race.

I guess I am just old fashioned, Scott.

Every race, as does life, has elements, like luck, bad or good, that make
things unfair ... just seems like it would be a good time for a kid to learn
that.

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 3/05/04