Posted to alt.home.repair
Percival P. Cassidy Percival P. Cassidy is offline

Default OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On 11/24/11 09:14 am, George wrote:

I recall something like that too. There have been different VATs
proposed too. Some of that type of tax sounds good to the uneducated
because they think the consumer will no longer pay the tax, but
businesses will instead. It all comes out in the cost of goods sold.
We should be more concerned about government spending.

The problem with a VAT is that is a great cover for weasel politicians
who don't want anyone to realize how badly they are doing their job. As
you noted many would simply think that the business is paying and not them.

A tax that is totally obvious and applied in one place (example, no
other taxes except a 38% sales tax) is a great thing because it would
make people do a lot more thinking on election day.

I don't think I've made any significant purchases of taxable goods in
any country that has VAT, but AIUI the tax rate may vary from one kind
of item to another and the tax rate is not necessarily published in the
store or at the cash register -- the tax is already included in the
displayed price.

A student from Zambia told me that their sales taxes (varying rates) are
included in the displayed price but the receipts show the tax paid on
each item.

Perce