Posted to alt.home.repair
Nancy Young[_4_] Nancy Young[_4_] is offline

Default OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On 11/24/2011 9:21 AM, George wrote:
On 11/23/2011 11:46 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Yes, an easier to handle ball of was. Now they will have 50 states to
deal with from one computer rather than the different ones in their
3000 local stores. The state for the shipping address with determine
the tax. Look up charts are easy.

Absolutely, there is nothing at all complicated. If you can quantify
something you can have a computer look up process that can use that
information.

Agreed, most places will likely subscribe to a service that maintains
an up-to-date sales tax database, just as many companies do for payroll
taxes.

There is a line on my state's income tax form where you're supposed to
be reporting all of these out-of-state purchases and cough up the sales
tax you owe. I'm pretty sure most people ignore it, besides, that would
be a lot of purchases to keep track of.

Reality is that the states can't just ignore it anymore. It's a lot of
revenue lost.

nancy