Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On 11/23/2011 6:38 PM, Kurt Ullman wrote:
In ,
Ed wrote:

On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 05:52:41 -0600, G. Morgan
wrote:

It maybe a big deal for a small guy, but for Amazon, it is merely a
computer program that can be easily added. It is more trouble to
compute shipping costs that the fixed sales tax for a given state.

End of quarter report. State of Euphoria sales $9999999. Tax due is
sales X 6%. Send it in.

But what about the City of Miniscule Heights and it's tax and the MH
Stadium fund that gets sales taxes from part of MH, part of the
unincorporated part of Miniscule County, and a sliver of the next county
over.

So what is the problem? Did you ever consider the powerful databases
that exist today and how much information is in them? My little town can
definitely fit in the miniscule category and it is divided up into three
different districts. I can go to the government web site and pump in my
address and it will instantly tell me what district I am in. If I pump
in an address one block away it correctly tells me that location is in a
different district.

And even the days of being anonymous because you live in a rural area
are largely gone. I border on a rural area and previously folks had an
address such as PO Box 222, Smithville where Smithville happened to be
ten miles away. Under e911 each building now has a physical street
address that is verified by GPS and recorded in a shared database. So
even the tiny little dirt road in the middle of nowhere has a name and
the one property on that road has an address. All can be instantly
located by government agencies.

If there was a way to say we were just going to collect only state
sales taxes, you'd have a point.