Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On 11/23/2011 11:11 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 10:12:13 -0600, "
wrote:

A friend lived in one town but had an address for the city next to it. I
lived a couple of blocks closer to the city (same subdivision) but had a town
address. The tax rates were substantially different. How does your simple
model handle this?

Simple. They don't care what the town address is. They are
collecting STATE sales tax, not city or down or other districts. The
city is SOL

Typically the state sales tax agency acts as the agent for other sales
tax collection. In my state it is the department of revenue. If you are
a merchant in my state you collect 6% sales tax, if you are a merchant
in Philadelphia or Allegheny counties you collect 1% more and remit it
to the state. There are line items on the submittal to indicate which
county gets the additional funds.

Folks seem to not realize how much data is available and how powerful
modern databases are. As I mentioned in another post my little town is
actually represented bu three legislative districts. I can go to the
government web site and pump in my address and it will instantly tell me
what district I am in and contact info for the appropriate rep.