Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mysterious Traveler Mysterious Traveler is offline

Default computer setup

On 11/23/2011 12:07 AM, klem kedidelhopper wrote:
I'm putting together a Pentium 233 to run some old programs I still
use. The computer will have two floppy drives. A is a 1.44 and B is a
1.2 meg. There are two hard drives. C and D are on one physical drive
and E is on the second drive. Win 98, a few programs and Dos 6.2 is on
C. This is the weird thing. I set this all up in bios and when I boot
from Dos both A and B are both accessible, however D and E come up as
"invalid drive specification". When I boot from windows the hard
drives are accessible but B is no where to be found. Bios does say
that everything is there, but depending on which operating system I
decide to use it isn't. Does anyone have a clue as to what could be
happening here? Thanks, Lenny

You can bump up that computer to a 500Mhz pretty easy by getting
an AMD Athlon 500Mhz processor and setting the multiplier to 2.
With an AMD when the multiplier is set at 2 it is automatically
recognized as 6 by the processor. Set the clock speed at 83Mhz.
Multiply 83 X 6 = 498. Speed test software will usually show 501Mhz.

I just happen to have a new processor I can let you have for $15.00
American and $5.00 shipping in the U.S., if you're interested.

What kind of MB do you have?
Do you have the manual?
Some MB are configurable through the BIOS.

You can usually download a manual from the internet if you know
the exact type of MB.

Post a reply if you're interested and we'll work out communications.