Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ping TNP re gridwatch

Chris Hogg wrote:
On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 16:14:52 +0000, Martin Brown
wrote:

On 24/11/2011 11:58, Mike Tomlinson wrote:
I seem to remember someone posted here about a "virtual host" error when
trying to access gridwatch.templar but can't find the post.

I have the same thing on Firefox 8.0 running on Linux (Fedora 15); the
error "Virtual host not found on this server" appears, yet Firefox 8.0
running in an XP virtual host on the same box works.

Not whinging, just odd behaviour.

Seems to work OK here. BTW Wind power output is pegged to the endstop at
3.1GW and has been since 10am this morning. Maybe fsd should be 5.0GW

Regards,
Martin Brown

Forgive my ignorance, but what is the maximum installed capacity for
wind power in the UK ATM, and shouldn't the scale be set to that
value?

Why? you never SEE that much.

Its about 3,8GW of actual metered stuff.

BM reports says weirdly that the forecast is for 3742, but there is
actually only 3731 installed (metered)!!

There's about another 2GW of rip off embedded paid 'on spec' on a guess
as to what it generates.

Of course it never makes the peak, because the grid cant handle it, and
half the time the windmills have to be feathered as well in strong winds..

Still its a day for the wind lobby to grab onto.. I think its well over
a year since they claimed 'wind supplied 10% of all our electricity'
(for nearly ten minutes at 5 a.m.)

I assume this is how the maxima on the other scales are set.

They are set by sheer 'what's the highest conceivable value'

Before the London sodding array came on board 3GW was an absurd scale..

And while I'm asking questions, what's the significance of the red and
orange segments on the coal, nuclear and ccgt dials?

Very little. They looked pretty.

The theory is they are putative danger points.

Also, I see the
French, Dutch and Irish ICT scales go from -ve to +ve, presumably
depending on which way the power is going. Would I be right in
assuming that -ve values refer to power being exported from the UK,
and +ve values to imported power?

Yes.

The irish ICT has been ****ed for months, the french has been at 1GW
most of the summer, touched 2GW briefly but is back to 1.5GW..I guess
that's inverter modules or something.

Torness was told to get off the grid due to grid problems..not sure if
its back on..the whole network is a bloody mess at the moment.

Thank god we have coal.