Silvan

Default Pinewood Derby 101 - you might be getting carried away.......

Dan Valleskey wrote:

Serious answer in my next post.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Signs you are getting carried away with your ( or is it- your son's?)
pinewood derby car-

Your Cub Scout now knows how to measure in thousandths of an inch

Check.

You showed up the night before, when they were setting up the track-

Check. (But then again setting up the track is one of my jobs as a leader,
so I only get half a point here.)

You tried to calibrate your dietary scale….

Check. (My (son's) car came in at 5.0 oz. on the real scale too, so it must
have worked well enough, eh?)

If you bought a book about how to win at Pinewood Derby, you might be
getting carried away.

Negative. But when a guy who was moving on to Boy Scouts gave me a bunch of
those books, I read them.

If you know that 5 ounces is 141.7 grams…

I do know, so check.

If you used a dial caliper or micrometer…

Check.

If you used a pocket calculator at any time-

Negative.

If you used a heat lamp to cure anything

Half a point. The stuff I was trying to cure actually sloughed off.

If you made a box just to carry the car in

Half a point. I ran out of time to make the box. So I put it in a padded
box some lathe tools came in, which I filled with packing peanuts.

If you bought more than one type of lubricant.

Negative.

If you used a jewelers loupe- you might be getting carried away.

Negative. But I don't own one.

If you needed a metal turning lathe, because your wood lathe had too
much runout when dressing the wheels-

Negative.

If you used cad software in the design stages….

Negative.

You had to buy anything mail order, because neither the corner
hardware store nor the Scout Office had what you needed-

Negative.

You sketched out a quick Gantt Chart-

I don't even know what that is.

If your Tiger Cub now knows how to wet sand….

I didn't know they had invented Tiger cubs, so I never had one.

If your budget went over 50 bucks….

Negative.

If you had to run out to buy more rouge (polishing compound) ….

Check.

If you used a router at some point in the construction of your car,
you might have spent a bit too much time on it.

Negative.

If you used a wind tunnel, you might be getting carried away with your
pine wood derby car.

I would have if I had had one.

How do I score this thing. Am I hopeless?

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Rue/5407/