Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On Thu, 24 Nov 2011 00:15:56 -0600, The Daring Dufas
wrote:

The ability to tax is the ability to control. Not that we don't need
this and that but there was a time when the individual citizen wasn't
the source of revenue, it was commerce through tariffs and taxes on
on items being moved across borders. I recall a proposal to have a
millage tax, a small tax put on every transaction between business
in and out of the country that would do away with individual income
taxes and bring in the same or more revenue. Sort of like the "Fair
Tax" proposal that has been discussed as a national sales tax in recent
years. The tax would follow The Gross National Product and it makes
sense in the way that some genius embezzler figured out to round off
amounts of all the money passing through a bank and getting pennies
from each transaction, it added up to a great deal of money until it
became a large enough amount to be noticed. I read about the idea years
ago and don't recall where I came across it but it was an intriguing
concept. Gee, I wish I could find the source, perhaps someone else is
familiar with it and may know more about the proposal and who came up
with the idea. ^_^

TDD

I recall something like that too. There have been different VATs
proposed too. Some of that type of tax sounds good to the uneducated
because they think the consumer will no longer pay the tax, but
businesses will instead. It all comes out in the cost of goods sold.
We should be more concerned about government spending.