Andy Hall

Default "Part P in force by 2004"

On Tue, 04 Nov 2003 16:03:03 +0000, PoP
wrote:

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 13:36:59 -0000, "Al Reynolds"
wrote:

I know it's old-fashioned, but I try and avoid breaking the
law when I'm doing my DIY. So assuming I don't want to
just do the work and hope for the best when it comes to
selling, I will need to take an alternative course of action.

As I understand it, I will have three options:

You have a 4th option - to do the work yourself. Illegal possibly I
suppose, but judges have never had a problem looking through the law
to discover the intent of the law and apply that instead. And
providing you've done the work to a reasonable standard and complied
with the regs then who is to know you did it?

You can anyway. There isn't a requirement about who *does* the work,
only that it is inspected and certified or a building notice issued if
anybody *except* a member of a SCAM organisation (who can self
certify) does it. There's an exception for kitchens.

From the report about the RIA:

**********

To reduce the work load on BCBs, work undertaken by persons who have
been assessed as competent through a scheme recognised by the
Secretary of State, or minor work specified in Tables 1 and 2 in the
Approved Document need not be notified.

Work in kitchens and the special installations and locations given in
Table 2 must be carried out by a competent person or notified to BCBs
before work commences.

DIY work on electrical installations will be a controlled service and
those undertaking the work, even minor work, are reminded in the
Approved Document that their work must comply with BS7671, including
inspection testing and certification by a competent person.

and

Work carried out by DIY workers will be treated as work undertaken by
persons not covered by a Competent Persons scheme. DIY installations
are covered by BS7671 which requires the installation to be inspected
and tested by a competent person in accordance with Part 7 of BS7671.
Work other than that listed in Table 1 in the Approved Document must
be notified to Building Control or undertaken by a member of an
approved competent person scheme.

*********

If you read through the rest of it, it becomes apparent that there
will be difficulty in drafting legislation for a lot of the aspects.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl