Posted to alt.home.repair
BobR BobR is offline

Default OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On Nov 23, 9:40*am, Peter wrote:
On 11/23/2011 9:00 AM, Kurt Ullman wrote:

In ,
wrote:

On 11/23/2011 6:52 AM, G. Morgan wrote:

**** 'em. *I'm in Texas and will only collect tax for Texas. *What a
bunch of convoluted nonsense. *How are online stores supposed to keep up
with all that?

It's called software. *It will be automatic, similar to the way the
on-line web sites calculate shipping costs based on destination zip
code, package weight, and choice of shipping method.

But taxes don't work like that, especially sales taxes. YOu have state
taxes, but many places also have local sales taxes, and often more than
one. There was an area around O'Hare at one point (don't know if it
still exists) where there was state, city, airport authority and some
other entity sales tax.
* * * This is very similar to a vinter I was talking to. He said there
are counties where UPS refuses to accept wine shipments because a person
on one side of the road may be legal and the other side not.

I'm amazed that so many technically sophisticated posters consider the
issue of automated software managing the sales tax calculation for
on-line business to be unworkable. *We probably all have been exposed to
essentially real time updating of huge relational databases. *We're not
computing in the 1980s folks. *Look how long it takes google to
accomplish a search with their custom algorithms, even for arcane
keywords. *I think you over-estimate the difficulty. *I suspect some
company, maybe even a start-up, could make a bundle by developing the
software accompanied by a user subscription charge for ongoing
auto-updates of the database (analogous to the auto-updates of the
signature files for our anti-virus programs).- Hide quoted text -

Right! Just give me their address and not only can I locate them
within 30 feet I can probably pull up a photo of their house showing
the cars in the driveway along with a photo of the front of the
house. Now you are going to try and tell me that its too hard to
determine what sales tax district they are in. Give me a break, it
isn't rocket science.