Posted to alt.home.repair
BobR BobR is offline

Default OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On Nov 23, 5:42*am, Nate Nagel wrote:
On 11/23/2011 03:02 AM, Caesar Romano wrote:

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 21:14:04 -0800 (PST),
wrote Re OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax:

On Nov 22, 9:59 pm, John *wrote:
http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/InternetSalesTa

They are "not raising taxes" they are "just helping to collect
taxes". There is a big difference...

That initiative is well under way nationwide.

The states have quietly joined together to create this entity (below),
whose purpose is to create a system to collect sales tax for your
state on all your purchases, no matter whose goods you buy:
http://www.streamlinedsalestax.org/

Here's current legislation:
http://www.streamlinedsalestax.org/i...cntnt01,detail....

It's coming, folks.

Bricks& *Mortar retailers are big supporters of that legislation. But
it won't matter. *On-line retail merchants will still beat the B&M
sellers in price/selection/convenience.

yup... whatever scheme they come up with I'm OK with so long as it's
fair and doesn't put anyone at a disadvantage. *The only reason that
there's such a huge issue w/ sales taxes is because the B&M stores are
so incredibly overpriced that people are flocking to online merchants in
droves. *Even if you add 5% or whatever to online prices to allow for
sales tax on many items it's still not worth driving to the store. *Just
one example would be cables - I just bought a lot of HDMI, optical
S/PDIF, and RCA cables online for about what just three HDMI cables
would cost me in a store - and for the same cost as store prices...
alternately if I were going high end for about the same as what a B&M
store charges for generic stuff I could get the real high end stuff from
Blue Jeans Cable. *This isn't a unique example... it's true for a lot of
items.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.http://members.cox.net/njnagel- Hide quoted text -

It's not so much that the B&M stores are overpriced as it is they have
a huge overhead that the internet stores don't have. It's really
about time that the internet retailers paid into the sales tax system
along with the local B&M retailers. I don't like paying the sales tax
but can't for the life of me justify letting the internet retailers
have that much of an advantage at everyone expense.