Posted to sci.electronics.design,alt.home.repair,rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] langwadt@fonz.dk is offline

Default OT Amazon to begin charging state sales tax

On 23 Nov., 17:41, John Larkin
wrote:
On Wed, 23 Nov 2011 11:32:28 -0500, "Percival P. Cassidy"

wrote:
On 11/23/11 09:34 am, George Herold wrote:

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/InternetSalesTa

They are "not raising taxes" they are "just helping to collect
taxes". There is a big difference...

Hmm, here in 'tax-happy' New York State there is a line on the state
tax return where you are 'required' to add in all the state tax that
you did not
pay on 'out of state' purchases.

In MI, one is required to report out-of-state purchases in excess of
$1000 (per item). Purchases for lesser amounts may either be itemized if
one has the receipts or else assessed automatically on the basis of the
taxable income (I *think* that's the basis). But one is supposed to pay
only the difference between the sales tax actually paid elsewhere (if
any) and the MI tax. So we don't pay MI "use tax" on the items that we
bought in IL where the tax rate is 8.xx (varies from county to county).

Perce

These states are missing an opportunity to charge double sales tax.
What *were* they thinking?

John

it seem ok enough that amazon have the unfair advantage, of paying no
saletax,
over local shops just because they sell stuff over the internet and
not over the counter

-Lasse