Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Miklos[_2_] Tony Miklos[_2_] is offline

Default What's a better chainsaw file than the Oregon #23727 3/16" (4.8mm)round file?

On 11/22/2011 11:13 PM, wrote:
On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 21:54:39 -0800, Steve Barker
wrote:

I find the Dremel seems easier to control and mine is variable speed.
I always seemed to wobble around a bit with the file and I had a hard
time getting them all the same. I had a doodad that clamped on the bar
but it was a big bulky thing.

I haven't worn out a stone yet. I did see my neighbor overheat one
tho. That was user error

I just drop them off, 4 at a time (usually once a year) to the
professional who sharpens them professionally, properly, with a proper
jigged chain sharpening apparatus made by stihl. He also touches the
rakes each time to keep the cutting depth proper. You all can't do any
of that with a ****ing file. I pity your chains. They must look hideous.

You can buy a chain for less than $15, why act like these are fine
heirlooms?

Depends on what kind of chains you are buying. The cheap ones are $15,
good ones use much better hardened steel teeth and your file would
hardly scuff it. Lot's of chains are up in the $50 range. They cut
better and stay sharp longer.