Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Geoffrey S. Mendelson Geoffrey S. Mendelson is offline

Default computer setup

JeffM wrote:
klem kedidelhopper wrote:
Pentium 233[...]Win 98[...]and Dos 6.2 is on C.
D and E come up as "invalid drive specification".

As usual, MICROS~1's crap sucks
compared to what else is available--for free.
http://google.com/search?q=FreeDOS+FAT32
...really sucks.
http://google.com/search?q=FreeDOS+USB-drivers

BUT, it's not 100% compatible. Maybe 99.99999% but not 100%. I made the
mistake of using it for a laptop to run programs from "the big M"
if you know what I mean (not Microsoft) and occasionaly they crash,
where they don't with DOS.

I expect that if you don't know what I am talking about, it won't matter,
and FreeDos is a lot easier to use as it includes many utilities and features
that Microsoft DOS does not.

Drive letters BTW, are not C and D on the same drive if there is more than one
drive, it's C is the boot drive, D is the first partition on the second drive,
E is the second partition on the second drive and so on........

You may also want to use Windows 95 or 98 instead of DOS. They both include
FAT32 disk support and when they are running in Windows mode include support
for network cards and Windows 98 second edition inlcudes some USB support.

Both can be run in "DOS" mode where they boot the base operating system,
which is really DOS 7, and not the GUI.

You can get drivers for some network cards for DOS, but they eat up too
much memory to run the big M programs.

There is a program from the early days of DOS caled prn2file, which lets you
save print data in a file instead of printing it. So when I need a record
of what's been done, I run it to redirect the printout to a file, start my
DOS program, print the reports and then run the program with no parameters
to close out the file.

Then I reboot in Windows with the GUI, and connect to a networked printer.

On one laptop I have, I do the same thing with DOS in one partition (installed
first) and then Windows XP in the second partition. Windows boots and gives
me a choice of booting DOS or XP. I then have a wifi card in the PCMCIA slot,
and use XP SP3, as it has good wifi support. You can get drivers for some cards
(usually 802.1b) for Win98 but the connection utilities suck.

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson, N3OWJ/4X1GM
My high blood pressure medicine reduces my midichlorian count. :-(