Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete Keillor Pete Keillor is offline

Default Sandvik coromant carbide way scraper

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 22:28:32 -0600, Ignoramus8003
wrote:

I have a couple of Sandvik Coromant way scrapers, they look like this:

http://yabe.chudov.com/Sandvik-Corom...raper-0578.jpg

The stuff under the red plastic tip is a big carbide insert.

I am trying to decide if I should keep one or sell both. Are they only
useful for high end precision way scraping (which is something that I
probably will never do)? Or do they have some more mundane uses?

I've been reading a series on scraping in one of the home shop
magazines. Apparently if you start playing with that, you'll probably
be making a lot of your own scrapers. Doubt I'll do that, to many
projects, not enough time.

On the other hand, I've rarely seen anybody get as much accomplished
as you, so who knows? Besides, remember that first lathe and sweet
Clausing mill you sold? Bet you wish you hadn't at least once, would
have made good tools for your boys some day. Plus those don't take up
much room, just keep them in your personal tools.

Pete Keillor