Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K[_3_] Jim K[_3_] is offline

Default Limestone fire surrounds for solid fuel stove

On Nov 22, 8:07 pm, "Andrew" wrote:
"Jim K" wrote in message

On Nov 21, 10:26 pm, "Andrew" wrote:
I need a new firesurround for an inset multifuel stove. Most of those
available are natural limestone or sandstone. These seem very vulnerable
damage by dirt and staining which is a normal part of the domestic
environment - and I wonder if their popularity is due to fashion taking
precedence over practicality.

Does anyone have any experience of these natural stone surrounds for a
solid
fuel stove. I fear they will quickly start to look grubby in this
environment.

it's difficult to imagine anything that will not look a bit "real"/
grubby in the proposed environment...

have you got the stove up and running yet?

Jim K

No - I a trying to coordinate the procurement of the stove and the
surround.

Thanks for all the comments - which more or less confirmed my feelings.
The real problem with the stone surrounds seems to be the way in which they
are cut so as to provide a neat clean outline (almost certainly by machine
despite the pictures of craftsmen using hand tools in the brochures). If
they were a bit more "rough and rustic" any dirt would form part of the
character of the fireplace, but dirt on a smooth outline appears as an
obvious imperfection.
"
Andrew

yup there's lots of posy aspirational "posh homes magazine" style
"craftsman made" bollox about to extract eyewatering amounts of
hubbies' money out - spose just usual supply & demand with no thought
to the practicalities - remember to leave 12" free each side for the
obligatory small ineffectual piles of logs for that "oh gosh how
rustic" finesse...;)

Jim K