Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sjouke Burry[_5_] Sjouke Burry[_5_] is offline

Default computer setup

klem kedidelhopper wrote in news:6a53b993-
:

I'm putting together a Pentium 233 to run some old programs I still
use. The computer will have two floppy drives. A is a 1.44 and B is a
1.2 meg. There are two hard drives. C and D are on one physical drive
and E is on the second drive. Win 98, a few programs and Dos 6.2 is on
C. This is the weird thing. I set this all up in bios and when I boot
from Dos both A and B are both accessible, however D and E come up as
"invalid drive specification". When I boot from windows the hard
drives are accessible but B is no where to be found. Bios does say
that everything is there, but depending on which operating system I
decide to use it isn't. Does anyone have a clue as to what could be
happening here? Thanks, Lenny

Dos 6.22 and fat32 do not go together.
Extract dos 7 form the install floppy of win98SE,
and away you go, edit autoexec and config to get rid of
unwanted stuf.
I have used that for years at work.
On the net and on the install cd you can find dos utils
for wim98, including ansy.sys and such.
You might search at M$ site for a new FDISK.EXE, which
can format the current harddisks.
Yell here if you still miss pieces.