Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Repaired Harbor Freight digital caliper

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 11:30:34 -0800, (Dave Platt)
wrote:

In article ,
Jim Yanik wrote:

USA MSDS sheet:
http://www.wd40company.com/files/pdf/msds-wd494716385.pdf

The key ingredient is a sulfactant (wetting agent), to reduce surface
tension and make it "cling" to objects and "puddle" water. My
guess(tm) the reason it took 40 trys is that they had a difficult time
finding one that would work in a solvent solution.

I'd not go by Wikipedia,I'd go by the actual WD-40 MSDS.
if you read the MSDS -for each ingredient- listed for WD-40 on the WD-
40 MSDS(like I did),you'll see that it's mostly kerosene.

I don't see either kerosene, or Stoddard solvent, by name in the MSDS.

Rather, I see "Aliphatic hydrocarbon" (CAS #64742-47-8) as the
ingredient with the highest concentration. Commonest synonym seems to
be "Hydrotreated light petroleum distillates." Usable as fuel oil or
solvent.

If I understand correctly, all of these petroleum distillates form a
continuum - most are mixtures of hydrocarbons with differing molecular
weights. I don't think there's a sharp physical cutoff between what
constitutes a "kerosene" and a "solvent" - it's all a matter of
convention.

According to the MSDS, WD-40 is a bit more than half solvent (about an
eighth is "LVP", presumably slower to evaporate?), about a quarter
light lubricating oil, a couple of percent of the secret-sauce
surfactant that Jeff was alluding to, CO2 for pressurization, and 10%
mixed "non-hazardous ingredients."

Well, let's dive a bit deeper into the contents. The CAS number
identifies the exact ingredients. We have:
CAS % by weight
Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 64742-47-8 45-50%
That would be:
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/ipcsneng/neng1379.html
Low odor paraffinic solvent, Dearomatized kerosine, Deodorized
kerosene. In other words, lamp oil as used in a kerosene lamp.

Petroleum Base Oil 25%
64742-58-1 Recycled motor oil
64742-53-6 Distillates(petroleum), hydrotreated light naphthenic.
Also known as Coleman fuel
64742-56-9 Solvent-dewaxed light paraffinic.
64742-65-0 Solvent-dewaxed heavy paraffinic.

LVP Aliphatic Hydrocarbon 12-18%
64742-47-8 Same as the first item. Kerosene.
My guess is that LVP means "low vapor pressure" which for solvents
means that it's slow to evaporate.

(gotta run...)

# 831-336-2558
#