Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Other Mike[_3_] The Other Mike[_3_] is offline

Default house smoke alarm false warning

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 02:35:13 -0000, "Lieutenant Scott"
wrote:

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 12:33:59 -0000, The Other Mike wrote:

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 03:21:51 -0000, "Lieutenant Scott"
wrote:

BTW I take it the smoke alarms are ok on batteries, because all the mains
can fail due to a fire in the wire before your meter. Happened to my
neighbour due to loose connection. Electric board too stupid to
fuse this wire at substation.

I find that hard, no make that impossible, to believe.

What don't you believe? The fire? He had the wire going into the eaves, it was an old house. The hot wire ignited the rafters.

The non-fusing? If there was a fuse, the substation wouldn't have hummed very loudly and thrown sparks for a full 10 minutes. Also the electric board guy confirmed it when I asked him. He said it was "too expensive to fit them".

Possible facts:

You saw a fire
Maybe that fire was caused by electricity

Definite facts:

The cable was fused at the substation to protect the cable
There is no way to bypass the fuse carrier at the substation

Possible fact:

The fuse rating may have been incorrectly chosen

Definite non fact:

Fuses are not too expensive to fit

Definte fact:

Fuses cost less than half a dozen metres of cable

The End