Posted to alt.home.repair
bob haller bob haller is offline

Default Holmes inspection

On Nov 22, 10:21*am, N8N wrote:
On Nov 21, 10:30*pm, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 13:27:13 -0800 (PST), N8N
wrote:

In most of the older Pittsburgh homes that I've seen, there *was* a
rudimentary partition (sort of like a residential version of a stall,)
although no proper bathroom - I guess you washed your hands in the
laundry sink. *For some reason none of the basements ever seemed to
get finished; they just remained utility or workshop/laundry space.

nate

As a kid, our house in Philadelphia was like that. *Just a small
partition and a pull chain light. *Basements were not usually finished
in the 40's and 50's and it was utilitarian for laundry, storage,, the
furnace, etc.

We had no clothes dryer so in the winter, mom put up lines and hung
the clothes in the basement. *At that point, we did have an automatic
washing machine though, but wringer models were still in regular use.

Hah. *memories... I think it was only when my grandparents moved to a
new(er) smaller house sometime after I graduated from high school when
my grandmother abandoned her old Maytag washing machine with the
manual wringer for a new(er) automatic one. *IIRC there was a mini-
apartment in the old horse barn that hadn't been used in ages save for
storage, and there was another one in there presumably for parts in
case something broke. *It wasn't that they didn't have money, she just
claimed that it was what she was used to, and anyway, it did a better
job than those newfangled automatic washers. *(don't know if that's
true or not, I've never used one save for helping her...)

I seriously hope that whoever bought the place called in an antiques
dealer to get rid of that stuff, instead of the junk man... *I'm sure
that there's people out there that would consider a working 40's
vintage washing machine to be collectible.

nate- Hide quoted text -

i have a wealthy friend, who still uses a wringer washer. just him and
his 2 sisters