Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Light bulb, thy doom is near!

On Nov 21, 6:06*pm, "TKM" wrote:
wrote in message

news

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 13:36:08 -0500, wrote:

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 05:55:49 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I know the National Resource Defense Council, which helped write
the new law, has stated their interpretation of the law is that these
bulbs can no longer be manufactured. * The devil is always in the
details. *In this case, it's in how the new law is actually
interpretted
and enforced. *I doubt the law says all odd-ball bulbs will still be
available. * *If you have a reference from the govt that clearly shows
what specific bulbs will still be available f I'd like to see it.

I am sure the light bulb manufacturers helped write the law and this
may be an opportunity for them to cut the number of special bulbs they
have to make. They can just say the government made them do it and eat
****. Buy a new lamp holder..

There's a problem with conspiracy theories; too complicated. *When was the
last time you saw a manufacturer who didn't say the equivalent of "buy a
new
lamp holder" when they a product was no longer profitable?

The light bulb industry doesn't work like that (I've had 40 years of
experience with it). *Light bulb companies are in the business of selling
light bulbs. *Some just source and sell; the "big 3" (U.S.) make much of
what they sell and want to sell as much as they can because they know how to
make bulbs at high volumes at low cost and high quality. *In other words,
they want to sell any bulbs that they can make or source that they can also
make a profit on. *They also have a problem: *the new CFLs and LEDs last a
long time, so their business is changing from a frequent replacement
business to a "sell it once and you're done" business. * They know how to
sell replacement bulbs on a regular basis. *Now, they have to figure out how
to get that initial sale because there won't be another for many years.

So, manufacturers want their odd-ball lamps to remain available because
they're still the high-replacement types and even with some types of
high-volume incandescent standard bulbs disappearing, lamp catalogs now have
more listings than ever before. *The California and Federal legislation both
inclue long lists of "excluded" bulb types and there's nothing pending right
now that proposes to change that. *Here's the excluded list from the 2007
federal law:
PUBLIC LAW 110-140-DEC. 19, 2007 --- ''(ii) EXCLUSIONS.-The term 'general
serviceincandescent lamp' does not include the following incandescent lamps:
''(I) An appliance lamp. ''(II) A black light lamp. ''(III) A bug lamp.
''(IV) A colored lamp. ''(V) An infrared lamp. ''(VI) A left-hand thread
lamp. ''(VII) A marine lamp. ''(VIII) A marine signal service lamp. ''(IX) A
mine service lamp. ''(X) A plant light lamp. ''(XI) A reflector lamp.
''(XII) A rough service lamp. ''(XIII) A shatter-resistant lamp (including a
shatter-proof lamp and a shatter-protected lamp). ''(XIV) A sign service
lamp. ''(XV) A silver bowl lamp. ''(XVI) A showcase lamp. '(XVII) A 3-way
incandescent lamp. ''(XVIII) A traffic signal lamp. ''(XIX) A vibration
service lamp. ''(XX) A G shape lamp (as defined in ANSI C78.20-2003 and
C79.1-2002 with a diameter of 5 inches or more. *''(XXI) A T shape lamp (as
defined in ANSI C78.20-2003 and C79.1-2002) and that uses not more than 40
watts or has a length of more than 10 inches. *''(XXII) A B, BA, CA, F,
G16-1/2, G-25, G30, S, or M-14 lamp (as defined in ANSI C79.1-2002 and ANSI
C78.20-2003) of 40 watts or less.''; and (B) by adding at the end the
following: ''(T) APPLIANCE LAMP.-The term 'appliance lamp' means any lamp
that- ''(i) is specifically designed to operate in a household appliance,
has a maximum wattage of 40 watts, and is sold at retail, including an oven
lamp, refrigerator lamp, and vacuum cleaner lamp; and ''(ii) is designated
and marketed for the intended application, with- ''(I) the designation on
the lamp packaging; and ''(II) marketing materials that identify the lamp as
being for appliance use. ''(U) CANDELABRA BASE INCANDESCENT LAMP.-The term
'candelabra base incandescent lamp' means a lamp that uses candelabra screw
base as described in ANSI C81.61-2006, Specifications for Electric Bases,
common designations E11 and E12. *''(V) INTERMEDIATE BASE INCANDESCENT
LAMP.-The term 'intermediate base incandescent lamp' means a lamp that uses
an intermediate screw base as described in ANSI C81.61-2006, Specifications
for Electric Bases, common designation E17. ''(W) MODIFIED SPECTRUM.-The
term 'modified spectrum' means, with respect to an incandescent lamp, an
incandescent lamp that- ''(i) is not a colored incandescent lamp; and ''(ii)
when operated at the rated voltage and wattage of the incandescent lamp-
''(I) has a color point with (x,y) chromaticity coordinates on the
Commission Internationale de l'Eclairage (C.I.E.) 1931 chromaticity diagram
that lies below the black-body locus; and ''(II) has a color point with
(x,y) chromaticity coordinates on the C.I.E. 1931 chromaticity diagram that
lies at least 4 MacAdam steps (as referenced in IESNA LM16) distant from the
color point of a clear lamp with the same filament and bulb shape, operated
at the same rated voltage and wattage.

Those who pushed for the light bulb legislation (energy advocates, some
electric utilities, particularly in California, and energy conservation
organizations) aren't particularly interested in the odd-ball lamps because
they don't use much energy and they know the fuss that would result if bulbs
disappeared for sweepers, garage door openers, appliances, night lights,
etc. *They don't get off without being criticized too and they pay attention
to it -- it's called "checks and balances". *They also know that people are
riled about the bulb thing and they're being careful about picking their
battles.

Tomsic- Hide quoted text -

And since the vintage Edison look bulb that I provided a link to does
not appear to fall under any of the above exceptions, it sure looks
like decorative bulbs of that type will no longer be legal to
manufacture.

http://www.amazon.com/Watt-Vintage-R.../dp/B003SEM81O

There are many similar ones to that which have become popular in
the last few years for the unique look. Do you agree that it looks
like
they are banned?