Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lieutenant Scott Lieutenant Scott is offline

Default house smoke alarm false warning

On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 14:10:48 -0000, Tim Downie wrote:

Lieutenant Scott wrote:
On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 12:54:29 -0000, charles
wrote:

In article op.v5ck04whytk5n5@i7-940, Lieutenant Scott
wrote:
On Tue, 22 Nov 2011 11:42:15 -0000, charles
wrote:

In article op.v5ch0it0ytk5n5@i7-940, Lieutenant Scott
wrote:

[Snip]

There isn't such a junction box. All the wiring is buried under
the road.

At some point the wire going to your house must seperate from the
bigass one which services several houses. Are you saying they just
twist the ends together?

I suspect it's a properly soldered joint.

And at this point, adding a fuse would not be a problem.

Buried under the road? I suspect not.

It shouldn't blow apart from to protect buildings from extreme shorts like the one I mentioned. So it would probably never have to be accessed.

Having said that, my parents' one needed access. The tarmac over the top of it was not substantial enough when a heavy lorry parked on the pavement above it. The tarmac sunk. The council simply added more tarmac. When a lorry did the same thing again, the power was cut off. I suppose they're lucky it didn't cause a fire, although probably underground it wouldn't have come to much - unless their house had managed to receive two phases instead of one - I've seen the effects of that and it ain't nice.

--
http://petersparrots.com
http://petersphotos.com

When launching a boat, always back the boat into the water.
Pulling the boat into the water can really mess up your carburetor.