Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve B[_13_] Steve B[_13_] is offline

Default Cutting Old Oak

wrote in message
On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 08:00:46 -0800 (PST), Pavel314
wrote:

I had a large oak tree cut down in 2005 and had them cut the trunk into
6-foot sections, planning to cut each into 18-inch quarters for splitting
into firewood. In retrospect, it would have been better to have them cut
up the trunk but it's too late now.

I've whittled away at the branches over the years and finally got around
to the trunk segments. These are about three feet in diameter at the
bottom and end up about two feet in diameter at the other end. I've cut a
few segments and split them, but this stuff is tough! The wood stayed hard
in the center, didn't decay, probably because of the thickness, and when I
hit the heart wood, it dulls my chain real quick.

The largest segment has three partial cuts around the circumference, but
the parts are still joined in the center. I was thinking of pouring water
into the groove that I've already cut in hopes that it might soften the
core. Any other ideas?

Paul

If this was not a long straight trunk with no real limbs, splitting it
is going to be tough. That grain is probably twisted so it is like
trying to split plywood.

I ended up having some big chunks like that hauled away. Let a guy
with a hydraulic splitter fool with them.

I have a 27 ton hydraulic splitter. I have come across some really
difficult pieces just in the local pines and junipers. Oak would be a whole
nuther thing. Getting it cut into manageable sizes to fit in the splitter,
then in the fireplace would be one stage. And I have seen some very
interesting twisting grains that were really tough to split even with 27
tons of force. Aging and drying may make it a little better. Still, a
handful.

Steve