Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] dagmargoodboat@yahoo.com is offline

Default Repaired Harbor Freight digital caliper

On Nov 21, 9:34*pm, "P E Schoen" wrote:

On 2011-11-21, Martin Riddle wrote:
Why bother including an on off switch?

It is an off switch to turn the *display* (only) back on. *They
sometimes make it also turn the display back off to make
people feel better. :-)
The auto-turn-off time of the display is usually good enough.

Still, there's no benefit to turning off the display, in this case. Might
just as well have it display "OFF".

I bought a high-end headlamp from Coleman a few years agohttp://www.coleman.com/coleman/ColemanCom/detail.asp?CategoryID=1116&...
and every time I went to use it the batteries (4 AA) were dead. I measured
the current draw when turned off, and it was something like 300 uA, which
should have provided 8000 hours (almost one year) for the 2500 mA-hr
batteries. But I was getting only a few weeks before finding them exhausted.
Maybe the current increased as the battery voltage dropped. I usually used
rechargeable NiMH and they might have been old and tired. But, still, there
is no reason for 300 uA standby current on a flashlight. Even if it had a
microcontroller, a typical PIC18F2420 draws only 11 uA while running, and
only 100 nanoamps in sleep mode! So, I just pop out one of the batteries
while I'm not using it. There's no easy place to install a switch.

Paulwww.muttleydog.com

I measured some ordinary NiMH cells' self-discharge, 1,600mAH, @ 1.6mA
IIRC. The high-capacity rechargeables are wickedly worse. I've got
one set that won't hold a charge much over two weeks, no kidding,
even brand-new. Self-discharge current on the order of 5-7mA.

There are low-self-discharge NiMH that hold a charge much longer,
sometimes up to a year. Highly recommended. Ray-O-Vac Hybrids, Sanyo
Eneloop, and Duracell has some too.

--
Cheers,
James Arthur