Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
P E Schoen P E Schoen is offline

Default Repaired Harbor Freight digital caliper

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message

Well ... I've paid more for *some* flashlights (typically
multi-LED ones) than for *some* digital calipers (import
from a hamfest), so it is a toss-up there. :-)

Yes, the Coleman headlamp I mentioned elsewhere lists for $50, and I paid
probably $20 on clearance, so I agree, in that case. But most flashlights
with coin cells are pretty much disposable.

If you are going to leave the calipers for more than a week,
pull the cell(s) and store them separately -- perhaps in a small
zip-loc baggie, so they don't damage anything else when leaking.

That's what I am going to do. There is a cutout in the foam of the caliper
case for a spare. I also put the other three cells in their original
packaging in there. I plan to use the calipers more now that I can depend on
them (and know how to fix them). Usually I don't do much precision
machining, and I have a cheap plastic dial caliper that is good to about
0.01" and is immune to humidity and most abuse.

FWIW I've not seen the Silver Oxide ("SR" prefix) ones leak in
anything in which I have used them.

I think the original cell in the HF caliper was actually alkaline, and
fortunately I had removed it (but kept in the case) when I had tried to fix
them a few years ago with no joy. When I opened it recently, the cell was
rusty and there was some liquid that had oozed out. I've also had some NiMH
AA cells that leaked. But probably the silver cells are better made and the
chemicals may be less aggressive. Now that I've found an on-line source with
good pricing I think I'll stick with them, although it's tempting to get the
Chinese copies for 10 cents each.

Paul