Posted to alt.home.repair
N8N N8N is offline

Default Holmes inspection

On Nov 21, 1:25*pm, wrote:
On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 03:57:49 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

Watching show. They laughed at toilet in basement with no walls. They
actually removed it. I didn't really think nothing of it being from
Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh toilet.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_toilet

Greg

The original idea was that in a starter house, Harry homeowner was
going to finish that basement (he dreamed of knotty pine, usually
settled on paneling) .

They set the toilet because that is virtually impossible later.

I think most states required the builder to put up some kind of
partition (it was always a "powder room" in Md) and I guess they
didn't have that law in Pittsburgh.

In most of the older Pittsburgh homes that I've seen, there *was* a
rudimentary partition (sort of like a residential version of a stall,)
although no proper bathroom - I guess you washed your hands in the
laundry sink. For some reason none of the basements ever seemed to
get finished; they just remained utility or workshop/laundry space.

nate