Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
P E Schoen P E Schoen is offline

Default Repaired Harbor Freight digital caliper

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

Many 99c stores sell a flatpack of 5-10 standard 357 batteries
for a dollar.

I'm not sure I'd trust them in something any more expensive than a
flashlight. I have seen them corrode and leak. And the only thing the 99
cent store might be willing to do is give you another pack or refund your
dollar.

So I use 2 batteries a year. Or even 3. Im still way ahead of the
curve when SR44s are $3 each

I just purchased four genuine SR44s from an eBay store, for $3, including
first class mail shipping. The same company also has larger packs for quite
a bit less.
http://stores.ebay.com/RL-batterydep...id=p4340.l2563

I also measured the current draw on my calipers, and it's about 12.5 uA
either on or off. It seems to spike a bit when turned on. (So do I

They are specified at about 175 mAhr, according to http://www.sr44.com/, so
lifetime should be about 14000 hrs or 1.5 years, but the spec is for a low
voltage of 1.3V, which is probably below the limit of the electronics in the
caliper, at least for the low battery indicator.

Here is a handy list of the various sizes with different chemistry and their
mA-hr capacities: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_battery_sizes

Paul
www.pstech-inc.com