Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
bq340 bq340 is offline

Default Small engine valve seat

On 11/21/2011 5:41 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
The engine on my leaf vac wouldn't start & I diagnosed low compression.
It's a 5HP B&S. Here's a picture of the exhaust valve seat (after lapping):
http://home.comcast.net/~bobengelhardt/ValveSeat.jpg

Does it (the seat) need to be replaced? The B&S Repair Manual says that
after replacing a seat, it needs to be cut. How important is the
cutting? I'm not about to buy a cutter & I'll take the engine to a
repairman instead.

Thanks,
Bob

Does the seat still have carbon on it or is it shiny? I don't see much
color difference in that picture, so can't be sure.

I would check that there is approx .010" lash to be sure the valve can
seat fully during lapping.

MikeB

--
Email is valid but not checked often