Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_9_] Andrew[_9_] is offline

Default Limestone fire surrounds for solid fuel stove

I need a new firesurround for an inset multifuel stove. Most of those
available are natural limestone or sandstone. These seem very vulnerable to
damage by dirt and staining which is a normal part of the domestic
environment - and I wonder if their popularity is due to fashion taking
precedence over practicality.

Does anyone have any experience of these natural stone surrounds for a solid
fuel stove. I fear they will quickly start to look grubby in this
environment. The suppliers usually comment that if they are painted with a
sealant there will be no problems - but I not convinced.

Andrew