Posted to alt.home.repair
Fake ID Fake ID is offline

Default Superhydrophobic coatings

In article ,
The Daring Dufas wrote:
On 11/19/2011 6:15 PM, Tony Miklos wrote:
On 11/18/2011 1:32 AM, Fake ID wrote:
In article_IOdnXX5SLuzd1nTnZ2dnUVZ_q2dnZ2d@earthlink .com,
wrote:
A coating (spray, paint) that repels water and oils (water, apple sauce,
chocolate syrup, motor oil, etc.). This stuff is different from water
PROOFING in that it REPELS water. You pour water on it, the water
bounces
back and hits you in the eye (slight exaggeration). Ice can't stick
to it.
Just the thing for coating power lines in freezing temperatures.

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=7is6r6zXFDc

Web site of company
http://www.neverwet.com/

Great, paint your boat with it and it'll never sink.

I'll bet it would make boats faster!

Think torpedoes. The Russians developed a super fast torpedo that
covered itself with a layer of bubbles and it cut the drag way down
so the torpedo was very fast. I'll bet The Navy is already experimenting
with the compound or has been for some time. ^_^

http://preview.tinyurl.com/7jpzj7y

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VA-111_Shkval
has some pictures of one on display. The Army's recent hypersonic
missile test made me think of this torpedo.

I'd expect the first watercraft to try superhydrophobic coatings would
belong to those who have obscene amounts of money to spend on minute
performance gains. So, America's Cup yachts and "row crew" rowboats.