Posted to alt.home.repair
Harry K Harry K is offline

Default Is there a third choice?

On Nov 20, 10:54*am, "Twayne" wrote:
,
Harry K typed:

On Nov 20, 6:38 am, willshak
wrote:
wrote the following:

Big news article in a recent newspapers said that the
cost of funerals has become so expensive that people
can no longer afford to die.

Well, the cost of living has also gotten to the point
that people cant afford to live either.

Is there a third choice?

Cremation is much cheaper. You only rent the casket (if
you want viewing) and there's no plot to buy. Besides,
you get a nice urn to place on the mantle.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

Yep. *and if you don't want a big funeral bill, buy a
"pre pay" plan. That cuts out the funeral director's
opportunity to twist the survivor's arm and add unwanted
costs, upscale the casket, etc. etc. and believe me they
are very adept at doubling what you expected to pay.

No, not at all. There would still be lots of money in "extras" that met the
dead person's lst/s.

?? If you are talking about adding 'extras' when you buy the pre-pay
then yes, of course but _you_ have control of them not a survivor who
can have a guilt trip laid on them for going "cheap".

For veterans you and your spouse can be buried in the
nearest vet's cemetary for free (plot, actual burial
only), or have your ashes either scattered or a spot for
an urn with your name and service details on a nice
bronze plaque.

Not true of all veterans; not globally applcable.

So don't bother to check it out all all, eh?

One should have the entire thing all planned out and an
executor named. *That executor needs to have all your
written out wishes, people to contact, pre-play policy,
etc.

And can get at your money/property.

Name your own or have the court name one. Like it or not there _will_
be an executor.

I had a discussion with my neighbor about it. *"It is too
depressing to think about"...Well just how "depressed" do
you think your survivors will be when they have to do it
and have no idea what you wanted?

So? Once you're dead, you aren't going to care about much of anything.

So you will just dump the decisions and costs on your survivors? Nice
guy!

Harry K