Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Repaired Harbor Freight digital caliper

On Mon, 21 Nov 2011 03:57:48 +0000 (UTC), gregz
wrote:

I bought some oleic acid from bill. I tried diluting it with isopropyl
alcohol, seems to mix well.

Olive oil works almost as well. It's about 50% oleic acid. My
solution is mostly Coleman fuel (naphtha), some olive oil, and a
little alcohol. It works and leaves the radio smelling "organic".

My old cans of spray of Contaclean got all sticky and the metal was looking
bad where it contacted the fluid build up. I think it also gummed up pots.

Well yes. Such cleaners (and Cramolin) are mostly mineral oil. Remove
the volatiles and antioxidants, and what's left is mineral oil. There
are different types of mineral oils: paraffin, naphtha, various
petroleum distillates, and mixtures. The paraffin residue left after
evaporation might be the gum that you're seeing.

Contaclean is Cramolins replacement for cramolin. I'm not trying to order
it anymore because it costs watt too much to ship into the states.

It appears that Contaclean is the same as the old Cramolin Red
(R-100). Mostly mineral oil (hexane) and isopropyl alcohol. MSDS:
http://www.farnell.com/datasheets/1493224.pdf
Hmmm... looks like the oleic acid was removed.

Interesting though, my old vial of cramolin never gummed up on the injector
tube. The can of Contaclean clearly states to remove before operating, with
a cleaner. Gummy!!
I can't remember if I dried pure oleic acid to test for gumminess. Probably
does.

I would blame the mineral oil instead, especially since there doesn't
seem to be any oleic acid in the Contaclean reformulation. Oleic acid
is much like corn oil or olive oil. It will leave a gummy residue
under the correct conditions. However, there is only 5% oleic acid in
the bottle, which isn't enough to leave much residue. If there's
plenty of residue, it's probably the mineral oil.

Deoxit does not gum. Never tried to dry up pure red caig in the vial
injector.
Deoxit is only 5% concentration in the spray.

Greg

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D