Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Repaired Harbor Freight digital caliper

On Sun, 20 Nov 2011 19:57:32 -0500, Rich Webb
wrote:

I tried a paste of cream of tartar from the spice rack in the kitchen on
the battery terminals on a long forgotten remote control that had spewed
its battery guts to make a nasty, green mess of the copper-nickel
strips. Worked amazingly well, better than anything else I've tried for
that particular problem. YMMV, of course.

Cream of tartar is potassium bitartrate. Mix the powder with some
white vinegar or any weak acid and you get a paste that can be used as
a cleaner:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5758669_clean-vinegar-cream-tartar.html

For cleaning up the green slime left after a battery exceeds its
warranty, I use ammonia cleaner. I also like the foam it produces.
Copper (cupric) oxide is soluble in ammonium hydroxide, but not in
water.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D