Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

Default Repaired Harbor Freight digital caliper

On 2011-11-20, Jamie t wrote:
N_Cook wrote:

wrote in message

[ ... ]

I've never used the new-fangled ones - do you have to do a clean jaws,

close

jaws, zero calibration check/0 reset ,every time you use them ? as the

count

must be lost each time it is switched off

Used to be, they've improved things. On at least some, the count is
kept live and just the display is switched off. It all goes away when
batteries are switched, but that can be lived with.

Stan

+++

So that explains , down thread, the drawback of dying batteries when
switched "off"

I have the HF digital calipers and I need to pull the battery when not
in use other wise, it'll be dead next time I need it. It seems to drain
quite fast.

How fast it dies is in part a function of the quality of the
batteries used. There are two series, "44" and "357" which are
interchangeable (and both magnum handgun calipers, FWIW) which can be
either Alkaline cells, or Silver Oxide cells. The Silver Oxide (usually
a "SR" prefix to the number) gives *much* better life -- at a
significantly higher cost. However, those more expensive ones are the
ones which I tend to use. The same in the digital micrometers, which
read down to 0.00005" or 0.001 mm.

Other than that, it seems to work very nicely..

They are nice to have -- and typically the more expensive ones
*do* work better.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564