Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
P E Schoen P E Schoen is offline

Default Repaired Harbor Freight digital caliper

"Stormin Mormon" wrote in message ...

Cleaned, how? Trichlor? WD? Cotton swab?

I used rubbing alcohol, which I also use for defluxing PCBs. I also scraped
the surface and dried it with a paper towel.

Have you considered something to reduce the humidity,
like vent fan, central AC, or dehumidifier?

I've lived with the problem for a long time. I have two houses, adjacent to
each other, and the lower levels have a stone foundations built into a hill.
It is worse in the house where I have my workshop and storage. And the
houses are in a low-lying area under lots of trees and the water table is
close to the surface. I've also had leaks in the foundation as well as the
roof so moisture has gotten in. Some time ago I basically gutted both houses
and replaced the old rotten frame studs and mud sills with new
pressure-treated lumber, but did not add vapor barrier, insulation, or new
drywall, until recently, and only partially. Being below grade, it's like
being in a cave, and it's often so cold that a dehumidifier freezes up. And
without insulation and vapor barrier, it's almost futile to try.

You can see my houses, and some of the work I've done (and some of my
tools), on youtube:
http://www.youtube.com/PaulAndMuttle...50/oxKL2p8O3EM
(there are also part 2 and part 3)

Paul