Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default GE Paid No Taxes on $14 Billion in Profits

On Nov 20, 8:58*pm, Hawke wrote:

I'm using GE as a metaphor for what is wrong with the country.

It would be easier for all concerned if you would take a little time
and think before selecting a company to use as a symbol.

understand fully why GE has not paid any taxes. According to the tax
laws they don't owe any. But I'm just using GE as a symbol of what's
wrong. Namely, you have entities and individuals making huge incomes and
are not paying anything into the treasury while at the same time people
working for eight or ten dollars an hour are paying up to a third of
what they make in taxes. That situation is wrong and needs to be
changed. All that is required to ameliorate that is for the tax laws to
be changed.

If you are only talking about income taxes, then people making $10 an
hour are not paying any income taxes unless they have significant
income from other sources.

Corporations used to pay nearly 30% of all tax revenues and now they pay
less than 7%. Someone has to make that up and it's the middle and lower
classes who have had to do it. That needs to be changed. Those with the
ability to pay are those who should pay.

So it is Congress that made all the loopholes. Pick who to vote for
with care.

Dan

As for myself, yes it's true that I do not have to be employed to live.
I would prefer to but in this economy the jobs just aren't there that I
would be doing if the economy was doing well. So for now I am living on
what comes in from investments. That's what I was shooting for all along
but unfortunately due to the recession and market drop in value I'm not
taking in anything near what the 1% are. It's enough to live on but not
enough to live like a king, that's for sure. So as usual nothing is as
one would like it to be.

Hawke