Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default Electric storage heaters - how good are they nowadays?

On Sunday, November 20, 2011 6:38:49 PM UTC, harry wrote:
On Nov 20, 11:18*am, wrote:
We live out in the sticks and our central heating (which we rarely
turn on nowadays) runs on locally stored gas which is becoming
steadily more expensive.

We have a large multi-fuel stove which we keep alight through the
coldest weather and we have a good supply of wood for that.

We *were* thinking of adding a small solid fuel stove at the other end
of the house in the breakfast room where we do spend quite a lot of
our time but the costs are just silly - like £6000 for a fairly small
installation (it does include some hot water with the space heating,
but that's all).

So we are looking at alternatives, we are already on an Economy 7
tariff for electricity, thus storage heaters would seem to be
something to explore. *How good are they nowadays? *I.e. are they
really able to not output much heat unless the fan runs? *What other
pros and cons do they have? *They're not particularly cheap (start at
around £450 as far as I can see) so one wants to be sure they really
do the job reasonably well. *Also are there any particularly to be
recommended (or the opposite) and is there anywhere I can get some
sort of independent review and comparison?

--
Chris Green

Or go for massive insulation and buy none of them. I have massive
insulation. The TV heats my house.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ara-chl...7627608971673/

Harry, could you describe types and quantities of insulation in your house? How much insulation is "massive". You could only do this in a new build I guess. If I was doing a new build, I would definitely go down that route.
Also, assuming the photo is your house, its nice to see famous solar panels..
Simon.