Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Todesco Art Todesco is offline

Default Dual sump pumps-check valve?

On 11/20/2011 10:43 AM, Joe J wrote:

"Andy" wrote in message
On Nov 20, 9:27 am, "
wrote:

How many sump pumps have you seen that are mounted
above the water level? Every single one I've ever seen
sits in the sump pump pit, in the water.

That would be a problem....

Andy replies:
None. But , based on the post, I wasn't sure the OP was referring
to a "sump pump", or a "pump that was used to pump out a sump".

People in different areas sometimes have different terminologies..

JoeJ replied that they were both submersible, hence, I can't see why
a check valve would be needed for either....

I agree with your post...but I can't see why you replied to "me"
rather
than Joe J...

Andy in Eureka, Texas PE

Still trying to stay on topic. Both are submersible, primary has a check
valve that prevents the water from draining back into the crock. Backup
has no check valve and has at least 12 feet of 1.5" PVC before it
reaches outside. When that pump turns off, the contents of that 1.5"
pipe drain back into the crock and almost refill it. Yes it is just a
backup and in theory only runs if the primary fails, but in this case
the primary did fail and it didn't seem very economical to have it
pumping the same water twice.
So, spend X dollars and install a check valve? I'll do it myself.

I've always had check valves on both pumps in my old house for some 37
years. Both pumps were submersible and one was battery operated. The
only problem I had was with the battery pump. Sometimes, the head of
water would keep the battery pump from actually pumping, even though it
was running. The instructions on the Basement Watchdog battery pump say
to drill a small hole in the pipe just above where it connects to the
pump. I did it, and it worked. The best sump system is what I have now
.... gravity. All perimeter tiles are just going to the side of the
mountain. If, for some reason, water should get in the basement (a walk
out on one side) just open the door.