Posted to alt.home.repair
Joe J Joe J is offline

Default Dual sump pumps-check valve?

"Andy" wrote in message
On Nov 20, 9:27 am, "
wrote:

How many sump pumps have you seen that are mounted
above the water level? Every single one I've ever seen
sits in the sump pump pit, in the water.

That would be a problem....

Andy replies:
None. But , based on the post, I wasn't sure the OP was referring
to a "sump pump", or a "pump that was used to pump out a sump".

People in different areas sometimes have different terminologies..

JoeJ replied that they were both submersible, hence, I can't see why
a check valve would be needed for either....

I agree with your post...but I can't see why you replied to "me"
rather
than Joe J...

Andy in Eureka, Texas PE

Still trying to stay on topic. Both are submersible, primary has a check
valve that prevents the water from draining back into the crock. Backup has
no check valve and has at least 12 feet of 1.5" PVC before it reaches
outside. When that pump turns off, the contents of that 1.5" pipe drain
back into the crock and almost refill it. Yes it is just a backup and in
theory only runs if the primary fails, but in this case the primary did fail
and it didn't seem very economical to have it pumping the same water twice.
So, spend X dollars and install a check valve? I'll do it myself.