Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default Repaired Harbor Freight digital caliper

N_Cook wrote:

Dave Plumpe wrote in message
m...

Not only do they remember where Zero is, they even keep track of any
movement that occurs while they're turned off. Smart little devils.

I find myself more & more reaching for the digital ones for the ease of
swapping between inches & millimeters.

-Dave
--
http://plumpe.home.mindspring.com
email:
"N_Cook" wrote in message

I've never used the new-fangled ones - do you have to do a clean jaws,
close
jaws, zero calibration check/0 reset ,every time you use them ? as the
count
must be lost each time it is switched off

An engineer told me never close the jaws of a micrometer or vernier calipers
for storage, leave the jaws open slightly. Do these digitally things require
the jaws closing before switching off ? How do they know of any movement of
the jaws when switched off elsewise?

And the engineer was correct in saying so.

Jamie