Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
N_Cook N_Cook is offline

Default Repaired Harbor Freight digital caliper

wrote in message
On Nov 20, 6:03 am, "N_Cook" wrote:
amdx wrote in message

On 11/19/2011 9:01 PM, P E Schoen wrote:
I have two Harbor Freight digital calipers, item #47257, and I've had
problems with one of them especially, where the display will go blank.
It seemed to work sometimes if I squeezed the enclosure, and I thought
it was a bad battery or bad connection. But a fresh battery didn't

work.

That's why I like the Dial calipers vs Digital Calipers, no concern
about batteries or electronics.
(Dial Calipers, Item # 66541, Out of Stock)

Although a couple years ago HF had the 6" Digital calipers on sale for
$9.99, I bought two. They are still in the boxes and I use my Dial
calipers. I think I might give one away as a Christmas present.
Mikek

I've never used the new-fangled ones - do you have to do a clean jaws,

close
jaws, zero calibration check/0 reset ,every time you use them ? as the

count
must be lost each time it is switched off

Used to be, they've improved things. On at least some, the count is
kept live and just the display is switched off. It all goes away when
batteries are switched, but that can be lived with.

Stan

+++

So that explains , down thread, the drawback of dying batteries when
switched "off"