Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic

Default 6 bit binary attenuator. - 6 bit attenuator.pdf

Baron wrote:

Michael A. Terrell Inscribed thus:

John Fields wrote:

Name: 6 bit attenuator.pdf
6 bit attenuator.pdf Type: Portable Document Format
(application/pdf)
Encoding: x-uuencode

Did you build & test this? The literature I saw on this type of
attenuator claimed that slide (or toggle) switches didn't have enough
isolation between sections for an accurate 32 dB attenuator stage.
That was why Kay used multiple 20 dB stages.

Yes some toggle switches have poor isolation. I built one many years
ago with slide switches. Above about 100Mhz an open switch only had
about 38 - 39 Db attenuation. I think the contacts were far to close
together for good performance.

I now have a Rhode & Schwarz attenuator, good to at least 1Ghz.

I have a couple Weinschel variable attenuators that are good past 5
GHz. Microdyne used them in their early telemetry test sets & C-band
signal generators. They paid over $900 each, in the '90s. Some were
replaced after a couple years on the test floor, the other is in a
C-band sig generator to test commercial Sat equipment.

http://www.aeroflex.com/ams/weinsche...S/stepattn.pdf they look
like the large all black model at the bottom of page 63.