Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Straightening Metal

On Sat, 19 Nov 2011 08:16:05 -0500, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Searcher7" wrote in message
I have a metal bracket that is rusted and bent. I will need to restore
it by first straightening it out and then sanding and either painting
or powder coating it.

But it's the straightening part that will be difficult. The bracket is
used to secure a 1/4" thick plexiglass marquee, and therefore is
shaped to "cup" the bottom of the marquee and hold it in place.
I'd appreciate any ideas on how to best accomplish straightening it
out. (Would heating it be necessary?).

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Straightening one of nearly a dozen storm-damaged corrugated roofing panels:
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...85907089791234
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...85348223415954
https://picasaweb.google.com/KB1DAL/...83909402381154

I used mostly a rubber hammer to shape it to the pipe underneath, then an
auto-body planishing hammer to flatten the sharper wrinkles. A steel hammer
thins, expands and distorts the sheetmetal so use it as little as possible.
A steel plate clamped upright in a vise makes a good anvil stake to
straighten thin angle. If you shape one to fit the "cup" it should be
undersized to allow for springback. I was taught to work out the damage
gradually all over rather than trying to complete one section at a time.

The tools are simple, the tricky part is learning where and how hard to hit.

What about shrinking where the damned thing stretched when it bent,
Jim? I've seen body men shrink with a torch and cool wet cloth and
I've seen physical shrinking machines which look like 2 pair of vise
jaws which come together (or apart for stretching).

I think it would be easier (and not much more expensive) to replace
the thing than to attempt derusting and then sand/fill/primer/repair
it. Darren would have many fewer headaches that way.

--
Most powerful is he who has himself in his own power.
-- Seneca